Alanya is a beautiful city with a rich history; the ruins of ancient cities here attract tourists from all over the world. So what facts about Alanya will make you look at it in the other way?
1. The first name of the settlement on the site of modern Alanya was Korakesion.
2. The first settlement was founded in the 2nd century BC. There are two versions of the settlement’s origin. According to the first, the purpose of the settlement was protection from pirates. According to the second, the settlement was created by the pirates themselves and there was a slave trade here.
3. After the expulsion of the pirates the Romans called the settlement Colonoros, which translates as «Beautiful mountain».
4. Cilicia and Colonoros were given to Cleopatra by Mark Antony.
5. The modern name of the city appeared in 1933. Previously, it was the winter residence of the Sultan and it was called Alaye. There is a version that the modern name is the result of secretary’s typo. Ataturk liked it and this city name became official. According to another version Mustafa Kemal Ataturk created a new name of the city.